The 'Derry Diocesan Youth Choir' has reached it's 1st Anniversary! Formed in May 2008 the choir is for all young people aged 15-20. 'Rejoice' is a wonderful opportunity to participate in an exciting faith experience that will enhance the Liturgy for young and old alike. Its mission is to provide opportunities for young people to express their faith and engage in the life of the Church.
For young people being in the choir contributes to their personal development, as well as helping them come to an understanding of ritual and music within particular liturgies. It provides an outlet for young Christians to form their identity and cement friendships outside their school peers.
Highlights for the First Year:
- The launch of the choir on Pentecost Sunday - May 2008
- Singing at the open air Mass 'Fan the Flame' in the Brandywell Stadium - June 2008
- Leading the music for the Masses for 'Deceased Young People' and the Regional Launch of the Girl Guides - November 2008
- 'Deck the Halls' Christmas Concerts in Derry and Omagh - December 2008
- Vocations Youth Day in Dromintine, Newry, May 2009
- Fan the Flame Mass in Brandywell Stadium, Derry, May 2009
- Launch of Framework Document for Youth Ministry, Maynooth, May 2009
- Diocesan Youth Mass, Pentecost Sunday, Derry, May 2009
New members have signed up to the choir for the year ahead. Special invite goes out to all singers and those who play musical instruments to join Rejoice! If you are aged 15-20 and are interested please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Being a member of the choir has many benefits for young people. It contributes to their personal development, as well as helping them come to an understanding of ritual and music within particular liturgies. It provides an outlet for young Christians to form their identity and cement friendships outside their school peers.
So what do the young people think?
"Being a member of Rejoice has been great as it has allowed me to become an active member of the church in an enjoyable way."
"For a young person the choir is a great way to meet people not just from Derry but from further afield. It is also a good way to get involved in your diocese through doing something you love like singing." Emer Mc Callion, Member of "Rejoice"